Top Schools with Programs for Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
Learn about programs in medical insurance billing and coding, which can help students prepare for national certification exams. Read about three schools that provide training in this specialized field, and find out where else in the U.S. you can find programs in medical billing and coding.
Show Me Schools
View popular schools
Programs in medical billing and coding teach students how to assign numerical codes to medical diagnoses and procedures. Top schools offer format and schedule flexibility, credential preparation, and professional training.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Health Care Administration
- Health Information and Records Admin
- Health Information Technology
- Health Management and Clinical Administration
- Health Unit Coordinator
- Health Ward Supervisor
- Medical Administrative Assistant or Secretary
- Medical Claims Examiner
- Medical Facilities Management
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
- Medical Insurance Services
- Medical Office Computer Technologies
- Medical Office Management
- Medical Office Specialist
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Staff Services
- Medical Transcriptionist
Notable certificate programs can be found at St. Catherine University, Drexel University, and California State University. These programs were all regionally or nationally ranked by U.S. News World Report for 2017.
St. Catherine University in St. Paul, MN
School Highlight: In 2017, U.S. News World Report ranked St. Catherine University #15 among the top regional universities in the Midwest.
According to the school’s website, it was one of the first schools in Minnesota to provide medical coding and health information specialist programs.
Students can choose between two certificate programs: basic medical coding or coding specialist. Both programs cover coding technologies, reimbursement systems and medical terminology. The programs are offered in the evenings and part-time; students in the coding specialist program must participate in a daytime professional practicum. The school also offers an associate degree program for health information specialists that can prepare them for the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) credential.
Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA
School Highlight: Credits earned through the certificate program can apply toward the school’s online bachelor’s degree in health services administration.
U.S. News World Report ranked Drexel University within the top 100 schools in the U.S. in 2017. Drexel offers a fully online medical coding and billing program that can usually be completed in a year or less. The program prepares students for several national certification exams; students can take and pay for only the classes they need. Once enrolled, students learn how to code hospital and physician’s bills, as well as explore case studies for real hospital situations.
California State University University – East Bay in Hayward, CA
School Highlight. The program at this school qualifies students to sit for multiple national coding certification exams.
The Medical Billing and Coding Certificate Program at California State University – East Bay lasts for 12 weeks and consists of 80 total hours. It is offered in the evenings at the downtown Oakland Center, so it is ideal for working students. The main areas of study are CPT, ICD-9, basic claims processing for medical insurance reimbursement, and specialty fields such as surgery, radiology and laboratory. The university was ranked a tier 2 school among regional universities in the West by U.S. News World Report for 2017.
Top Schools for Medical Insurance Billing and Coding Programs
Here, you can find information about other colleges and universities with strong offerings in this field:
- At the City College – Fort Lauderdale in Fort Lauderdale, FL, the medical office administration program offers insurance billing and coding track with a 90-hour practicum.
- Through Dakota State University in Madison, SD, certificate courses in healthcare coding are available entirely online.
- Davenport University in Grand Rapids, MI, offers training and certification as an insurance specialist in billing and coding.
- At Montana State University in Billings, MT, medical coding and insurance billing courses are available online, on-campus or in a blended format.
- At Pennsylvania College of Technology in Williamsport, PA, the Health Information Association for allied health and technology supports the careers of students.
- Williston State College in Williston, ND, offers certificate and associate degree programs in medical billing and health information management.
For students who want to pursue careers in medical insurance billing and coding, there are undergraduate programs available from two-year colleges and four-year universities. Some of the strongest programs are offered by top schools ranked by U.S. News World Report .
Next: View Schools
An Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Medical Insurance Billing and Coding program can prepare individuals for careers in.
A number of schools in the Baltimore area have top ranking medical insurance billing and coding programs. Read on to find out.
Learn about important considerations when selecting an online medical billing and coding school. Keep reading to get an.
Medical billing and coding certificates teach students about the insurance system and how to file claims. Learn about program.